Ram Nath Kovind takes oath as the 14th President of India
July 26th, 2017
Ram Nath Kovind has sworn in as the 14th Indian President. The 71 year old President is the second Dalit President after KR Narayanan to walk into the 340-room Rashtrapati Bhavan. Here are some of the highlights of his oath ceremony:
- Our efforts will pave way for a more developed India: President Kovind.
- Every citizen of the country is a nation builder. We have to take India to greater heights: President Kovind.
- I am proud of our diversity. Inclusive growth is the way forward, says President Kovind.
- A nation grows only when development for all is ensured: President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Grateful to all Indians who gave me this important post: President Kovind.
- My journey from a small village to President's House has been long but interesting: President Kovind.
- CJI KS Khehar arrives at Parliament House for swearing-in ceremony.
- Ram Nath Kovind meets ex-president President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 3 PM to allow members to participate in the President's swearing-in ceremony.
- Family members of President-elect Ram Nath Kovind start arriving at Parliament House for his oath taking ceremony.
- President-elect Ram Nath Kovind and his wife Savita visit Rajghat.
- After the tour, Kovind will drop off Mukherjee at his new residence - 10, Rajaji Marg.
- The new president will leave for Rashtrapati Bhavan where an inter-services guard of honour will be given to him in the forecourt and courtesies will be extended to the outgoing president.
- Thereafter, the outgoing President Pranab Mukherjee will give Kovind a tour of the official residence - the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The swearing-in event is likely to get over by 12:36 PM when the new president and Pranab Mukherjee would proceed towards Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Ahead of the oath taking ceremony, Kovind will visit Rajghat, Mahatma Gandhi's memorial on the banks of Yamuna river.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who broke ranks with the Opposition to support NDA candidate Ram Nath Kovind, is also likely to attend the event.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Union Ministers, senior BJP leaders, chief ministers of several states will be attending Kovind's swearing-in ceremony.