World Oceans Day: Because blue has always been cool
June 7th, 2019
In a world of trends, what we really need to take care of is what becomes trending. And this is exactly why the United Nations marks International Days so that awareness about important issues can be raised on a global scale. This is why on the 8th of June, we celebrate World Oceans Day.
Awareness about the importance of oceans is quite limited even though they cover 71 per cent of the Earth’s surface. And this is exactly why it is necessary for us to understand the need to protect our natural resources, the most precious of which is water and oceans are our largest sources of water.
How do we benefit from our oceans?
- Oceans are extremely important when it comes to influencing our climate.
- They help in maintaining the ecological balance by providing room to various aquatic animals.
- Oceans provide us with oxygen, almost half of what the world needs, and absorbs a lot of carbon dioxide from the air.
- Oceans are a very important mode of transport which in turn generates many employment opportunities.
- It is also an important source of many medicines.
How can we protect and preserve our oceans?
- Climate changes affect the oceans and hence by becoming conscious of sources of environmental pollution, we can indirectly help preserving the oceans.
- Reduce the use of plastics. Why? Well plastic doesn’t completely decay and hence they end up in the oceans when dumped, which many aquatic animals consume which leads to their untimely death, thus disturbing the ecological balance.
- Clean up the beach. Dirt from the beach will end up in the ocean, thus polluting it.
- Be careful about what you buy. Do not buy products which have been made by exploiting marine life.
This World Oceans Day, the theme of celebration is Gender and the Ocean which focuses on the importance of gender equality in ocean related activities, so that we may all come together to protect our greatest natural resource!