The Football World Cup that you didn’t know of
June 7th, 2019
The months of June and July this year, promise to be really exciting for all the sports enthusiasts out there! And all the football fans, it’s time you gear up to witness some of the most excellent playoffs of all times. Yes, you heard us right, football fans! While the rest of the world is buzzing with the Cricket World Cup excitement, what has been lost in oblivion is the Women’s Football World Cup, which kicked off today in France!
The Women’s World Cup 2019 is underway and here are some interesting facts that you need to know about it:
- This is the eighth edition of the Women’s World Cup.
- The last year’s champions were Team USA.
- It was initially not designated as a World Cup, but FIFA decided to change its status to World Cup after the tournament happened in China, due to its growing importance.
- This is the first time that France will be hosting this event.
- VAR or Video Assistant Referee system will be used for the first time this year.
- All the matches which are scheduled from 7th June to 7th July, will take place in nine different cities across the country.
- The participating number of teams has increased this year. The teams taking part are – USA, Thailand, Sweden, Spain, South Africa, Scotland, Norway, Nigeria, New Zealand, Netherlands, Japan, Korea Republic, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, France, Canada, Chile, China PR, England, Australia, Argentina, Brazil and Cameroon.
While we wish all the best to the teams, let’s hope Team India joins the bandwagon soon!