SOCIAL MEDIA DAY
June 30th, 2018
Back in 2010, the digital publisher Mashable decided that it would nice to recognize the impact that social media has had on how we communicate. Through the various social platforms, we’re able to connect with friends, make new friends, facilitate business, and grow our networks on a global scale.
Social media has become an intrinsic part of our daily lives. With some battling additions to the social media, it has become the only friend of many in a lonely world.
So this year we bring you 5 records, both new and longstanding (but pretty amazing), so you can find out about the biggest milestone moments in social media's history.
- Most Liked Picture On Instagram: Beyonce held the title for most liked Instagram post for 12 months with her post revealing her pregnancy, but was overtaken by Kylie Jenner in February 2018 when she announced her daughter Stormi to the world. The photo currently has a total of 17,973,521 likes.
- The First Video Uploaded On YouTube: The first video uploaded to YouTube was entitled "Me at the Zoo", and was uploaded on 23 April 2005 by YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim.
- First Hashtag Selfie On Instagram: On 27 January 2011 – the day Instagram introduced hashtags – Jennifer Lee (USA) added the tag #selfie to a photograph of herself that she had uploaded to Instagram 11 days earlier.
- Most Confusing Emoji: According to a study published by the University of Minnesota in April 2016, Microsoft’s "smiling face with open mouth and tightly closed eyes" was ranked as the world’s most confusing emoji, with interpretations ranging from euphoric laughter to extreme pain.
- Most Followed Entrepreneur on Twitter: We're sure you've heard of our next record breaker - the Most followers on twitter for an entrepreneur is held by Bill Gates, the founder of the Microsoft Corporation. He currently has 46,229,348 million followers on twitter. He is a philanthropist and keen reader, who often shares his favourite books.