Top 6 binge-watched Indian Daily Soaps!
October 26th, 2017
Indian television shows are one of the most diverse demonstrations of idea generations and manifestation on screens. From outrageously claptrap scripts to real life societal issues of grave importance, television dailies have done it all. Indian television industry is still churning out series every month and each show makes the headlines somehow or the other.
No matter how much we disregard them, we would all agree that we have seen at least one episode out of curiosity or during a day off at home.
Here is a list of 6 shows that we have all binge-watched or come across at least once!
1. Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai: The gibberish poems of adorable Rosesh, stingy Monisha and Maya Sarabhai’s sass has still been left unmatched by any other television series. Our hearts were given loads of hope when this program commenced with their season 2, in the middle of 2017 after a break of 11 years! This program is known to be loved by all because of its light content and humour! Mrs. Maya Sarabhai played by Ratna Pathak has always been a playful delight to watch!
2. Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi: As I am writing about it, the background score is playing on a loop in my mind and Tulsi Virani’s robust face welcoming me at her doorstep is hard to ignore. Even though they brought back dead husbands, glycerin tears, fancy bindis and plastic surgery in style, this family’s drama was never ending! Although (thankfully) it ended after completing 1800 episodes, we are all guilty of wanting a house like the Virani Mansion and who didn’t find “Baa” cute?!
3. Shaktimaan: One of the best Indian superheroes, we all used to wait for Shaktimaan episodes to air on Sundays! The extensive usage of VFX in the 90’s had us all in awe and we couldn’t simply wait to watch how he would fight the villains and reel away! This Indian version of Superman was always our jam!
4. Hum Paanch: This series was actually rated as one of the best comedy shows on television in India. Revolving around 5 sisters who had absolutely different characters, this show was a must watch for relieving stress! It was produced by India’s soap queen Ekta Kapoor and all of the cast members are now highly recognized stars in the industry!
5. Malgudi Days: Who isn’t familiar with Late R.K. Narayan’s literary masterpiece?! This show was adapted from his novel ‘Swami and Friends’ and it never failed to amuse one and all. This show was broadcasted in the late 80’s on Doordarshan and 39 hilarious episodes later, it ended.
6. Kaun Banega Crorepati: This show was the 1st quiz game show introduced in India and seeing Amitabh Bachchan on the quiz master’s seat, sparked an interest in us! With the nail-biting excitement and suspense regarding the results, sometimes we feel like we’re the ones on the hot seat! This show first aired in 2000 and has just completed its 9th season.